|Respect & Protect|
Committee Team Members:
Mrs. Engle Mrs. Tawney Mr. Chadwell
Mrs. Chadwell Mrs. Jurkovich Mrs. Miles
Mrs. Boggs Dr. Tupper
Roane County Schools has implemented the Respect and Protect Program in all of our schools.
Respect and Protect is simply a discipline and behavioral model that is aligned with the West Virginia Student Code of Conduct to ensure that all students are respected and protected. This program will help us provide fair and consistent discipline, prevent bullying and violence, and provide a safe and supportive learning environment.
Here are the key components of Respect and Protect:
1. Students will be taught the following definition of violence:
"Violence is any mean word, look, sign, or act
that hurts a person's body, feelings, or things."
2. Students will be taught the difference between reporting and tattling. Reporting is when you try to stop trouble from happening. Tattling is when you are trying to get someone in trouble. Many violent acts can be prevented if students will report information to adults.
3. Students who misbehave will receive a Behavioral Intervention Form that will be sent home by the student and kept on file at the school. A copy of this form can be viewed upon request to your child's teacher.
4. Students will receive a conduct grade based on the number of intervention forms they receive during a nine-week period.
5. Schools will strive to intervene at all levels of violence to prevent the little things from becoming major acts of violence.
6. Students will be acknowledged and rewarded for their good conduct.
7. Schools will seek parent and community involvement for appropriate interventions.
Perhaps the most important component of Respect and Protect is the parent involvement. We simply can't do it alone. We need your help and support at home as we strive to provide all children with a caring, safe, and supportive environment.
Please feel free to call the school if you have any questions about the program. Together we will make our school a better and safer place to learn!